O MacGuffin

quarta-feira, março 26, 2003

VOLTEMOS A FALAR DE CINEMA

Numa altura em que se comentam os Oscares – se Chicago não merecia, se Gangs of New York merecia, etc. – relembro um Filme: Janela Indiscreta. Eis um excerto.

Stella:
“The New York State sentence for a Peeping Tom is six months in the workehouse.”

Jefferies:
“Oh, hello Stella.”

Stella:
“You know, in the old days they used to put your eyes out with a redhot poker. Any of those bikini bombshells you’re always watchin’ worth a redhot poker? Oh dear, we’ve become a race of Peeping Toms. What people ought to do is get outside their own house and look in for a change. Yes, sir, how’s that for a bit of homespun philosophy?”

Jefferies:
“’Reader’s Digest’, April 1939”

Stella:
“Well, I only quote from the best”.

Stella:
“You know, I should have been a gipsy fortune teller instead of an insurance-company nurse. I got a nose for trouble. Smell it ten miles away. You heard of that stock market crash in 29? I predicted it.”

Jefferies:
“Just how’d you do that Stella?”

Stella:
“Oh, simple. I was nursing a director of General Motors. Kidney ailment, they said. Nerves, I said. Then I asked myself: what’s General Motors got to be nervous about? Overproduction, I said. Collapse. When General Motors has to go to the bathroom 10 times a day, the whole country’s ready to let go.”

Jeferries:
“You know Stella, in economics, a kidney ailment has no relationship to the stock market. None whatsoever.”

Stella:
“It crashed, didn’t it?”

Stella:
“I can smell trouble right here in this apartment. First you smash your leg, then you get to lookin’ out the window – see things you shouldn’t see. Trouble. I can see you in court now, surrounded by a bunch of lawyers in double-breasted suits. You’re pleading. You say: ‘Judge, it was only a bit of innocent fun. I love my neighbours like a father.’ And the judge says: ‘Well, congratulations. You’ve just given birth to three years in Dannenora.’”

Jefferies:
“Yeah, well, right now, I’d even welcome trouble, you know?”

Stella:
“You’ve got an hormone deficiency.”

Jefferies:
“I can you tell from a thermometer?”

Stella:
“Those bathing beauties you’ve been watching haven’t raised your temperature one degree in a month.”

Stella:
“Are you never going to get married?”

Jefferies:
“Oh, I’ll probably get married, one of these days, but when I do, it’s gonna be to someone who thinks of life not just as… just as a new dress and a lobster dinner and the latest scandal. I need a woman who’s willing to – hold it – willing to go anywhere and do anything and love it.”

Jefferies:
“So the honest thing for me tod do is just call the whole thing off… Let her find somebody else….”

Stella:
“Yeah, I can hear you now. Get out of my life, you perfectly wonderful woman! You’re too good for me.”

Stella
“Look Mr. Jefferies. I’m not an educated woman, but I can tell you one thing: When a man and a woman see each other and like each other, they oughta come together – wham – like a coupla of taxis on Broadway and not sit around analysing each other like to specimens in a bottle.”

Puro génio.

0 Comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Subscrever Enviar feedback [Atom]

<< Página inicial

Powered by Blogger Licença Creative Commons
Esta obra está licenciado sob uma Licença Creative Commons.